Saturday, April 9, 2016

Week In Review

While I don't want to have two posts in a row starting off with me mentioning the time, I have to note that it is currently just after 9:00pm and I am still awake!  Even better, it is by choice lol.  My typical bedtime for much of this pregnancy has been somewhere between 7:30 and 8:30, so this is an unusual change.

For some quick updates on the childcare front, hubby first went by the child development center on base on Monday to get the girls on the wait list there.  Apparently, they actually have a longer wait for Abby's age group than for the infants.  There is currently an estimated 90-day wait for the three-year old group.  We really want to get both girls into the same school, however if that means we might have a spot secured for Alexis when it's time for me to return to work, that works since the infant classes are typically much more limited on space.  The CDC also opens at 6am, so hubby could take Alexis easily on his way to PT in the morning, while I take care of dropping off Abby.

Hubby called up the school that is at the top of our list once he was done on base, and scheduled a tour of their current sister-school, which is under the same ownership.  He went by on Tuesday to look at the school, meet the director, and get more information.  They said we would be about sixth on the wait list for getting Alexis a spot, but should have a spot secured for Abby once she turns three.  Hubby fell in love with the school, and I immediately did as well after hearing everything he saw and learned about their programs while touring.

We decided to move forward with trying to get both girls in at the school, as we feel it would be the best for them developmentally.  Hubby stopped back by on Wednesday to officially register the girls and get them on the list.  Depending on how the infants currently on the list age before the school opens, Alexis may or may not have a spot available when they open in June.  They said she would have a spot by October by the absolute latest, however that is just based on an assumption that all of the infants currently on the list won't turn six-months old and age up into the next class until that time.  We did learn that Abby will officially have a spot when the school opens, and will be placed in their preschool program.  In addition to your classroom basics that you find at any childcare center, they also incorporate math, science, and social studies into the preschool curriculum for the three-year old group.  We think this school will provide Abby the focus, direction, and challenge she needs, which has currently been lacking in her current school.

Yesterday, I saw the doctor for my 36-week visit.  Alexis is doing well, measuring in at 36 weeks on the dot and had a heart rate of 140 beats per minute.  The doctor also confirmed again that she is definitely head down, so no breach baby situation to worry about here.  At my 32-week visit, I had my counseling session with the doctor about my delivery options (VBAC vs. repeat C-section).  At that time, I was still really torn about which path I wanted to take.  Based on the details of my delivery with Abby and why a C-section was needed there, the doctor came back and said I pretty much have a 50/50 chance between being able to have a successful VBAC and needing a C-section again.

While it is customary to schedule C-sections for 39-weeks for repeat cases, she did say that I have the option to decide as late as 39 or 40 weeks that I am done and get the C-section immediately.  After talking it over with hubby and how I am feeling, with regards to gut instinct, I decided that I would like to try for a VBAC if I go into labor on my own prior to my due date.  If I do not labor naturally by my due date, then I would prefer to just have the C-section again, especially as they really try not to induce mothers who have previously had a C-section, as it means there is an increased risk of uterine rupture due to the stronger contractions caused by the use of pitocin.

I discussed this with the doctor yesterday, and she was in agreement with my plan.  She was unable to schedule a C-section yesterday for my May 6th due date, as the calendar is not yet out for May, however we are set with the plan of a C-section if I do not go into labor by my due date.  I also have all of the rest of my appointments scheduled for the remainder of the pregnancy.  The only other item I need to take care of with regards to the doctor is to get pre-admitted at the hospital, which I will take care of at my 38-week visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment